Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Virtual Education- New Horizons in Learning

Teachers learning to use their avatars
It's been awhile since we have had some video to post for my space, but I started thinking, that well... why do I need a video to start talking about the people and ideas that make educational technology thrive in our schools.

Teachers updating their avatars to match their personalities!
So with that, I want to talk about two projects that I am involved with here at my work at the Western New York Information Center's (WNYRIC) Technology services division... whew, yes that is a mouthful!  The projects have been driven by two New York State Department of Education Grants.  The first grant is the NYSED Technology and Learning Grant 2012-2015 that was awarded in January. This grant involves some work that I have been plugging away at for quite some time.  My major objective for it is based around creating new ways to teach and learn history, as well as, develop creative skills in writing and reading.  The goals of this program are to give teachers a new way to engage their students in school using a virtual environment.  This 3 year grant will involve training teachers to use our Open Sim environment to learn about history through role-play, building, play, and communication.  Notice how I slipped in that word "play".  To read about the pilot project that began this work, see ISTE's Leading and Learning Magazine, May 2012.  Or check out my companion blog using my Virtual World avatar:  Professor Illuminati.  That blog will give you the latest news from the students and teachers that are involved in the grant.   I have been truly inspired by our starter group of teachers:  Jill Pallente, Sts. Peter and Paul, Derek Kise and Megan Herbeck from Gateway- Longview, Jessica Graham and Amanda Thompson from St. Christophers. Rebecca Moe from 14 Holy Helpers School, and Erica Aikin and Diane Zahradnik from Southtowns Catholic.

 Stay tuned for more updates and information on how this project develops.  If you are a New York school that may be interested in this project for your school or class.  Please contact me or check out our website.  http://bit.ly/theislands
















No comments:

Post a Comment